It was time to hit the road again during the week of Sept. 23-29, with a week-long work trip to Las Vegas followed by a quick hop to Phoenix to hang with some friends and go to the USC-ASU game in Tempe. It was a fun week with a lot of variation in the images I captured. Let’s take a look — and remember, to see any image full-size, simply click on it!
Well, I imagine the fact that I decided to continue the Lyric-of-the-Day project into 2014 somehow made these updates a little less urgent for me. However, let’s be honest, I might have lost interest in the recap posts if I was you by this point!
Nonetheless, I will forge on and eventually catch up — starting now. Here’s the monthly #LOTD2013 playlist for last September (find the Spotify playlist I’ve created from these lyrics linked at the end of the post or on the clickable image at right), with some brief explanations (in italics) for a number of the lyrics. Remember, if you want to see the lyrics as they pop up daily, just give me a follow on Twitter!
- “Two lovers lie with no sheets on their bed/And the day it is breaking” #U2 “Electrical Storm” #LOTD2013 9/1
- “I am smitten/I’ll do anything (I’ll do anything)/A kiss, breath turpentine” #REM “Crush With Eyeliner” #LOTD2013 9/2
- “Time passes much too quickly when we’re together laughing/I wish I could sing it to you” #Chicago “Beginnings” #LOTD2013 9/3
- “Don’t harass me/Can’t you tell/I’m going home/I’m tired as hell/I’m not the cat I used to be”#Pretenders “Middle Of The Road” #LOTD2013 9/4
- “My life/You electrify my life/Let’s conspire to ignite/All the souls that would die just to feel alive” #Muse “Starlight” #LOTD2013 9/5
- “I don’t need to fight/To prove I’m right/I don’t need to be forgiven” #TheWho “Baba O’Riley” #LOTD2013 9/6
- “I’ve seen the good side of bad/And the down side of up/And everything between” #Everlast “What It’s Like” #LOTD2013 9/7 (A perfect perspective for a long-time USC fan on this night when the Trojans lost their home opener, 10-7, to lowly Washington State.)
- “She looked at me and told me/I was the only one in the world/Now I have found my girl” #TheDoors “Blue Sunday” #LOTD2013 9/8
- “Been thinking ’bout catching a train/Leave my phone machine by the radar range” #SherylCrow “A Change Would Do You Good” #LOTD2013 9/9
- “2 of a kind/We’ll find a way/To do what we’ve done/Let me be the 1 that shines with you/And we can …” “Slide Away” #Oasis #LOTD2013 9/10 (A little turn of phrase for the birthday girl.)
- “Dear New York I know a lot has changed/2 towers down but you’re still in the game” #BeastieBoys “An Open Letter To NYC” #LOTD2013 9/11 (Self-explanatory, I’d hope.)
- “You just want someone to talk to/They just wanna get their hands on you/You get whatever you choose” #Eagles “Those Shoes” #LOTD2013 9/12
- “Always take a big bite/It’s such a gorgeous sight/To see you in the middle of the night” #TheCure “Friday I’m In Love” #LOTD2013 9/13
- “When I hear that trumpet sound/I’m gonna rise right out of the ground” #JohnnyCash “Ain’t No Grave” #LOTD2013 9/14
- “Don’t stop inspiring me/Sometimes it’s hard to keep on running/We work so much to keep it going” #NoDoubt “Running” #LOTD2013 9/15 (A running lyric for the USC Urology Charity 5K I ran this morning.)
- “I know what is going on/I know that I’ll wait til dawn/I know just exactly what’s on your mind” #Raconteurs “Rich Kid Blues” #LOTD2013 9/16
- “Turn the tables with our unity/They’re neither moral nor majority/Wake up and smell the coffee” #L7 “Pretend We’re Dead” #LOTD2013 9/17
- “And in the world a heart of darkness/A fire zone/Where poets speak their heart/Then bleed for it” #U2 “One Tree Hill” #LOTD2013 9/18 (One of my dad’s favorite songs on his birthday.)
- “Turn it up a notch/First you get a swimming pool full of liquor/Then you dive in it” #KendrickLamar “Swimming Pools (Drank)” #LOTD2013 9/19
- “Cut the night just like a razor/Rarely talk & that’s the danger” #INXS “The One Thing” #LOTD2013 9/20 (25 yrs ago tonite @PacAmp w/@kzener) (Guess I made my own note about this one in the actual Tweet, eh Karl?)
- “Put de lime in de coconut/You drink ‘em bot’ togedder/Put de lime in de coconut/And you feel better” #HarryNilsson “Coconut” #LOTD2013 9/21
- “It’s how/I give this gift to you/It doesn’t seem like much, but it’s the best that I could do” #Sugar “Gift” #LOTD2013 9/22
- “We hope you enjoy your stay/Outside the sun is shining /It seems like heaven ain’t far away” #Killers “Enterlude” #LOTD2013 9/23 #LasVegas (Headed to Las Vegas on this fine morning for an annual work event.)
- “Your mommy’s all right/Your daddy’s all right/They just seem a little weird” #CheapTrick “Surrender” #LOTD2013 9/24 (On this lovely Tuesday evening, I attended two separate private parties at Surrender nightclub at the Encore in Las Vegas.)
- “We’ve come too far to give up who we are/So let’s raise the bar and our cups to the stars” #DaftPunk “Get Lucky” #LOTD2013 9/25 (The tune we chose for our annual DRMA member video, which debuted on this night at the Marketer of the Year party in Las Vegas.)
- Catch-up time: “I’m always hearing voices on the street/I want to shout but I can’t hardly speak” #RollingStones “Rocks Off” #LOTD2013 9/26
- “Such a muddy line between/The things you want/And the things you have to do” #SherylCrow “Leaving Las Vegas” #LOTD2013 9/27
- “There’s danger on the edge of town/Ride the King’s highway, baby/Weird scenes inside the gold mine” #TheDoors “The End” #LOTD2013 9/28 (An ode to Lane Kiffin on the occasion of his final embarrassment as USC’s head coach.)
- “Taking me where I want to be/I’m taking a ride/With my best friend” #DepecheMode “Never Let Me Down Again” #LOTD2013 9/29 (Caught D-Mode at Staples Center. Impressive show.)
- “Ring out the bells again/Like we did when spring began” #GreenDay “Wake Me Up When September Ends” #LOTD2013 9/30
Here’s the Spotify playlist if you’d like to listen along: #LOTD2013: September
The June issue of Response has been available online for just more than two weeks now — but if you haven’t taken a look yet, suffice it to say, there’s plenty of content you might want to take a glance at. Let’s take a look at the issue, including the cover feature on cosmetics industry legend Jerome Alexander, our annual look at the home shopping market and more.
- With a 40-year run as a leader in the cosmetics world, Jerome Alexander’s history speaks for itself. Whether it’s his track record of placing products in high-end retailers like Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdales, or his recent two-decade run of success in home shopping both in the United States and abroad, Alexander’s seen just about every side of the product and marketing business. And now, after some time away from the U.S. retail space, Alexander has introduced his successful Magic Minerals line in some of the nation’s biggest retail outlets. But the most intriguing facet that I heard when Lindsey Carnett of Marketing Maven PR pitched the story was the reversal of a traditional DR/retail campaign — that is, Alexander gambled on the product’s success overseas and in home shopping to gain new retail acceptance in the U.S. He then began selling his product at retail prior to connecting with a group of industry vendors to create a new DRTV campaign expected to debut later this year. If you missed the link to the story above, here it is once again: Finding the ‘Magic’
- A story that’s been on the editorial calendar each year since I joined Response in 2001, our look at the home shopping space has actually gotten a lot more interesting in recent years. Why? Most likely because the sector’s behemoths — QVC and HSN — are using some of the most creative combinations of TV, traditional online and mobile marketing in the entire world. Not only that, but even niche players like Jewelry Television are also making huge strides to become the “where you want, when you want it” type of online retailer that’s making so many waves today. Want to hear more about it? If you didn’t click the link above, here’s another chance: Mobilizing the Home Shopping Space
- Whether it was a tragic quarter of epic proportions or Kantar Media’s measurement efforts slipped, 2013′s final quarter of direct response TV and radio media billings results proves no better for the DR radio market. Fourth-quarter billings dipped more than 62 percent from the same quarter in 2012 — with almost penny attributable to a shocking loss in the local radio space. Yes, that’s the same sector that had been carrying Kantar Media’s DR radio results for much of the year, causing concern that there might be a blip with Kantar’s local radio reporting for the quarter. Radio’s fourth-quarter troubles were also almost wholly responsible for 2013′s decrease in total billings in the space. For more on 4Q DR radio billings from Kantar and Response, click here: DR Radio Billings Lose Frequency in 4Q 2013
- Finally, my Editor’s Note begins with a personal story about using mobile technology to help close a sale before pivoting to talk about mobile’s growing importance to marketers, retailers, regulators and — most importantly — consumers. To read my full take, here’s the link once again: Consumers Drag Marketers Into Mobile Future
Thanks again for reading and interacting with Response!
The week of Sept. 9-15 was definitely spent on the home front. Still, with a couple of events later in the week, it made for a good mix of images. Let’s take a look!